GAIL initiates a slew of relief measures
GAIL (India) Limited today initiated implementation of a slew of relief measures for the affected families villagers of Nagaram. This is following the tragic gas pipeline incident in which nineteen people lost their lives and several were injured.
The compensation of Rs. 20 lakhs per deceased and Rs. 50,000/- to each of the 19 injured, totaling to Rs. 3.89 crore was handed over to the district administration today. The disbursement of compensation to the individual eligible beneficiaries will begin tomorrow. Parallely, pending the outcome of the enquiry set up both by the Government as well as the Company, two senior officials incharge of the regional operations and maintenance of the pipeline network have been suspended.
Mr. B C Tripathi, CMD, GAIL said, “GAIL (India) Limited deeply mourns the tragic loss of life and property in the unfortunate incident along the natural gas pipeline of the company at Tatipaka in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. Our ED (Human Resources), Mr. Amit Ray has been nominated as the nodal officer for coordinating the relief and rehabilitation measures and closely work with local authorities, Government and villagers”.
GAIL has initiated several relief and rehabilitation measures in addition to the relief measures announced by the Hon’ble Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Petroleum & Natural Gas during his visit to the incident site along with Hon’ble Chief Minister, Andhra Pradesh.
On the day of the incident, Hon’ble Prime Minister and Hon’ble Chief Minister, Andhra Pradesh had also announced compensation for the victims.
The relief measures initiated by the Company:
• GAIL will bear the medical expenses of all the injured persons and best possible medical care will be provided. GAIL Helpdesks have been set up at Apollo Hospital & Trust Hospital at Kakinada, KIMS Hospital at Amlapuram and Balbolini Hospital at Rajahmundry, where the injured are being treated. All facilitation is being rendered to the family members of the injured persons at these hospitals.
• In the case of those permanently disabled, Rs. 5 lakhs for each affected person shall be put in a fixed deposit to enable subsistence benefits through Monthly Income Schemes.
• A detailed Plan of Action is being drawn up for rehabilitation of the affected persons.
• Meanwhile, food and temporary shelter have already been arranged near the affected site
• The loss of property as well as crops is being assessed in consultation with the district authorities and GAIL will be extending compensation for the same.
• A series of welfare-measures have also been added as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives including construction of permanent houses for the 35 affected families, setting up a skill development centre for local residents
• In addition, the company will also adopt the Nagaram village and endeavour to make it a model village.
GAIL’s Tatipaka-Kondapalli pipeline has been certified for safety by various national and international agencies of repute. We follow all statutory and safety guidelines in our operations. However, without waiting for the findings of the enquiry committees constituted by the Government and GAIL, the Company has voluntarily dispatched multiple teams to undertake foot-patrol of every inch of its pipeline network in KG basin. Further, the Internal Audit Group of GAIL shall undertake audits to thoroughly check the various pipeline systems across the country and submit detailed report within a fortnight.
GAIL has constituted an internal enquiry committee headed by Executive Director (Operations & Maintenance). It has also been decided to engage an international consultant of repute to conduct an intensive third-party audit of its pipeline safety systems and other hydrocarbon installations as a precautionary measure.
GAIL CMD is deeply concerned by the tragic incident and is personally leading the relief and rehabilitation activities. GAIL is committed to take all necessary actions and no efforts will be spared in finding the cause and to take corrective action so as to establish the trust and faith of all stakeholders.